Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012

Happy New Year!

With resolutions popping up in conversation, status updates and blog posts, getting a fresh start seems to be on everyone's mind. And though we all know that come mid-February, they will be long forgotten, there is still something special about making them.  Embracing the new, moving forward from the old, changing things up a bit, cutting off the cookie binging, finally grasping at one of those brass rings on the long-term list.

This year my goal is to be more present with my children.  Catchy, but what does it mean, right?

::It means that I stop seeing them as interruptions to my job- and realize that they are my job.

::It means that I say yes to them, unless I have a really good reason to say no (and using the computer is not a good reason!)

::It means that I focus less on my "to-do" list and instead view it as an "I did too" list.  At the end of the day, when I feel like I accomplished nothing, I can say "wait, I did, too!"

I played 7 games of Old Maid, read the same book 5 times, poured 15 glasses of milk, nursed the baby 8 times, changed 10 diapers, helped with a hard puzzle, talked to the pediatrician, swaddled 6 baby dolls, nobody starved or was buried alive under laundry or dishes.

And I enjoyed it, too.

So take that, perfectionist, to-do-list-making self.  I may rarely have 5 consecutive minutes to complete anything.  And it may bother me, but I am trying to get over it...because honestly, Old Maid is fun too.  And for the moment, I can still win :)

2 comments:

  1. I could have written this myself! Well said, dear friend. There is definitely a reason our paths crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this! It was just what I needed to read today. I'm going to hang onto these thoughts in 2012 as well! It must be that teacher in us that feels like we always have "to do" everything around the house and more ever day. "They are my job" - I love that.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover