We have been on a granola kick lately, and finally found a favorite recipe. We started with Stephinie's awesome recipe over at Gypsy Forest and adapted it a bit. Here is how we make ours:
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1/2 c peanut butter (or almond)
- 1/2 c oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c coconut flakes
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 c flax meal
- 2 cups nuts/seeds ~ toasted pecans, toasted almond slivers, pistachios (!!), sesame seeds
1. Mix together wet ingredients and spices over medium heat until smooth.
2. Stir flour and flax meal/seeds into the honey mixture.
3. Mix oats, coconut, nuts and seed in a large bowl.
4. Add syrup mixture, stirring until well coated.
5. Spread thinly onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 stirring every ten minutes until granola is golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
6. Add dried fruit or raisins if you like and store in airtight jars after cooled. This recipe fills 2 half-gallon mason jars.
We eat this on our yogurt, oatmeal, ice cream, in a bowl with milk, or straight from the jar! It is also yummy mixed with a bit of brown sugar as a topping on a coffee cake or muffins.