Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent

Today marked the beginning of Advent.  This is one of my favorite times of the year, with traditions and family time around every turn.




This year we celebrated by hanging up our advent calendar.  Last year we made a replica of one I had growing up, which was just like the one my mother had growing up, so it is special and full of memories!  We also lit the first advent candle at dinner time.  It was both kids' baptism anniversaries, so we brought out their baptism candles and celebrated that as well.  Lots of candlelight to accompany our dinner!



Then we unpacked two special nativity sets...one set that I brought back from a nativity store in Oberammergau, Germany as a souvenir from a trip with my grandparents.  I LOVE this wooden set- one of my most prized possessions.  We also got out Matias and Violet's Little People set.  Matias knows he is not supposed to move my wooden figures, but that doesn't stop him from lining up his camels right next to mine.  He carried around the Baby Jesus for much of the evening, wrapping him up and telling him that his birthday was coming soon.

Matias' school has a "Happy Birthday Jesus" party for Christmas, and so far his focus has been on Baby Jesus, rather than Santa.  Undoubtedly the Santa excitement will grow as the big day approaches, but for now, we are happy to share his excitement about the pending birthday.

A blessed Advent to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover